Kiwifruit Salad with Calamari Tempura
- 2 Zespri® SunGold Kiwifruit, peeled, diced
- 6 cups mixed wild greens
- 2 Zespri® Green Kiwifruit, peeled, quartered, sliced
- 1 green apple, cored, julienned
- miso vinaigrette dressing*
- calamari tempura*
- Puree SunGold Kiwifruit in small food processor or blender. Do not crush kiwifruit seeds; set aside.
- Place salad greens, Green kiwifruit and apple in large bowl. Pour Miso Vinaigrette over greens and toss lightly.
- Divide salad onto 4 plates. Drizzle SunGold Kiwifruit Puree around edge of plates and top with Calamari Tempura. Serve immediately
Miso Vinaigrette Dressing
- 2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp white miso paste
- 1 tsp fresh ginger, chopped
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- pinch cayenne pepper, ground
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- Puree all ingredients in small food processor or blender until just blended; set aside.
- vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 cup tempura batter mix
- 3/4 cup ice water
- 1 lb calamari, cleaned and cut into rings
- Preheat 2 inches of oil in large frying pan to 365ºF.
- Mix tempura batter mix and ice water in medium bowl until blended.
- Dip calamari in batter and place in hot oil.
- Cook 1 to 2 minutes until golden.
- Transfer to paper towels to drain.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 6 to 8 minutes
Makes: 4 servings
Nutritional Analysis per Serving: Calories 310 (44% Calories from Fat), 22g Protein, 22g Carbohydrate, 3g Fiber, 16g Fat, 3g Sat. Fat, 0g Trans Fat, 295mg Cholesterol, 730mg Sodium