Ricotta and Yogurt Mousse with Strawberries and SunGold Kiwifruit
- 3 Zespri® SunGold kiwifruit
- 3.5 oz (100g) ricotta cheese
- 3.5 oz (100g) mascarpone cheese
- 3.5 oz (100g) whole milk plain yogurt
- 1 cup heavy cream, whipped
- 2 tbsp (15g) powdered sugar
- 1 and 1/2 egg whites
- 2.8 oz (80g) sugar
- 3-4 tbsp water
- .25 oz (7g) powdered gelatin
- lemon or orange zest, grated
- 7 oz (200g) fresh strawberries
For Fruit Sauces
- 2 Zespri® SunGold kiwifruit
- 7 oz (200g) fresh or frozen strawberries
- 5.25 oz (150g) sugar
Preparation of Sauces
- Slice the Zespri® SunGold kiwifruits into halves and spoon small pieces out into a food processor or blender; puree the kiwifruit and pour into a bowl.
- Add the remaining sugar to the kiwifruit puree, and mix carefully. Set kiwifruit sauce aside.
- Wash and hull the strawberries; then, puree them with the remaining sugar. Set strawberry sauce aside.
Preparation of Ricotta Cheese Mousse
- Put the ricotta cheese in a bowl, and add the mascarpone cheese and mix together with the yogurt, powdered sugar and grated zest.
- Put the egg whites in a seperate mixing bowl. Add 1 tbsp + 1 tsp of the granulated sugar and beat with electric mixer whisk attachment until stiff.
- Pour water into a skillet. Add the remaining sugar to the pan and cook over medium heat until sugar is completely disolved. Remove from heat. Slowly pour the syrup onto the egg whites, continuously beating with the electric whisk until the mixture becomes cold and frothy.
- Fold the egg white compound into the cheese mixture prepared previously. Add the gelatin, previously bloomed in cold water. Fold in the whipped cream.
- Wash and remove the stems from the remaining strawberries and dry them carefully.
- Pour half of the mousse mixture into a mold (or individual molds, or pan lined with baking paper); add a layer of strawberries placing them upside-down and refrigerate for at least 10 minutes. Take the mold out of the fridge, pour the remaining mixture and put back into the fridge for at least 3 hours.
- Peel the Zespri® SunGold kiwifruits and cut them into thin horizontal slices. Before serving, dip the mold in hot water for a moment, turn out the mousse on a platter and decorate with Zespri® SunGold kiwifruit slices all around.
- Serve with Zespri® SunGold kiwifruit and strawberry sauces.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
Chilling time: 3 hours
Makes: 4-6 servings